Paypal is one of the most secure and flexible options to use for online transactions.
With a PayPal account, you can easily send and receive money from different people with the right account details and a click of the button. And because it is quick and easy to use, it’s one of the best payment/withdrawal options for freelancers.
Pinoy freelancers can benefit from PayPal because of its quick set-up process, the ability to receive currencies other than pesos, and withdrawing your funds to your existing Philippine bank account.
But before you can use these services, you’ll need to verify your PayPal account. In this post, we’ll discuss how you can complete the process successfully so that you can receive payments from clients and pay for business or personal expenses using your PayPal account.
Steps to Verify Your PayPal Account with a Credit Card
- Acquire a credit or debit card first, preferrably Mastercard or Visa as these are accepted by Paypal. If you’re using oDesk to find clients, you can apply for a Payoneer debit card and use it to verify your account. Steps to do this will be discussed later in the article.
- Type in the necessary data into your Paypal profile such as your billing address, e-Mail address, and your credit/debit card number. Make sure to complete this particular process before moving to the next step.
- Add your credit/debit card number to your profile to receive a Paypal EXPUSE number, which is needed to complete the verification process. Users will receive the EXPUSE number in the next statement of account.
- Expect to see a charge of $1.95 in your SOA. This is a precautionary move of PayPal to make sure that you are an active account holder. The amount will be refunded after verifying your Paypal account using the EXPUSE number.
- Complete the verification process by typing in the EXPUSE number and clicking on the Verify Account link button. You will then receive a confirmation email from PayPal in your inbox regarding successful verification. The refundable fee of $1.95 will then be deposited to your PayPal account.
If you’re unsure of the process of acquiring a Payoneer debit card, you can apply for a Unionbank EON card. This is a debit and savings account that you can use to verify and receive your funds. For more information, you can check out the Unionbank EON page for steps and requirements.
Steps to Verify Your PayPal Account with Payoneer
- Apply for a Payoneer card. Go to your Financial Activity > Withdrawals and then click on the link to Payoneer’s website.
- Expect for the card to arrive in your doorstep in 20 – 25 days. You will receive an envelope with the Payoneer card and instructions on how to activate.
- Activate your card by depositing enough funds to pay for the $9.95 activation fee. This is a one-time fee that you need to make to be able to receive the PayPal EXPUSE number, which you will see in your transaction history.
- Type in the EXPUSE number into the verification field and click the submit button. You will then receive the notification email from PayPal and can now receive funds from your PayPal account to your Philippine bank account.
PayPal for oDesk Freelancers
Pinoy freelancers working through oDesk are given the chance to have their earnings transferred to Paypal, provided that the account is verified and the e-mail address used in the oDesk account is correct.
To withdraw, you only need to pay a fee of only $1 per withdrawal, making it one of the least expensive options to use for withdrawing funds. But despite the minimal withdrawal fee, it is best to withdraw your funds once you’ve received a larger amount to avoid spending too much on transfer fees.
If you don’t need to withdraw on a regular basis (bi-weekly or per month), this is a good choice. But if you need to withdraw regularly to make ends meet, you might want to consider using Payoneer instead since it has a much faster withdrawal period than PayPal.